Boko Haram sect has refuted stories that its representatives are holding peace talks with the government and threatened to strike media houses it said fight the group “with the pen”.
The Nigerian media and at least two foreign news organizations have reported that talks are going on between the government and the militants who have been staging an insurgency against it, citing unnamed sources.
Information minister Labaran Maku declined comment last week Wednesday on the talks, citing government instructions not to discuss the issue. But on Friday, he issued a statement acknowledging that some kind of talks were going on.
“We are telling the government to understand that if it is not ready to embrace sharia (Islamic law) and the Koran as the guiding book from which the laws of the land derive, there shall be no peace,” the sect’s spokesman Abu Qaqa said today in a written statement in the northeast city of Maiduguri, the heart of the rebellion.